Alan Geoffrey Milnes was born on 9 May 1938 in Leeds, UK. He studied geology at the University of Edinburgh and earned his doctorate in mineralogy-petrography in 1964 at the University of Basel. After a period as Assistant Professor at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, he returned to Switzerland in 1968, where he completed habilitation requirements in structural geology at the ETH Zurich in 1971. From 1969 to 1985 he was Oberassistent at the Institute of Geology and played a leading role in establishing courses and research in structural geology and environmental geology, at that time new fields in Switzerland. From 1979 to 1985 he headed the geological section of the Geological-Mineralogical Museum of the ETH. At the same time he represented the ETH Zurich in the geology group of the Federal Task Force on Nuclear Waste Disposal (AGNEB) and wrote the text book „Geology and Radwaste“, published by Academic Press in 1985. In 1984, he was awarded the title of Professor of Geology at the ETH Zurich. From 1985, he worked as an international geological consultant, until he was appointed Professor of Geology at the University of Bergen (Norway) 1991, a position he held until 1998. Returning to international consultancy, he worked mainly for the Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Co. (SKB) and the equivalent company in Finland (Posiva Oy), before returning to Switzerland in 2004. In 2008, he became one of the Editors of geology for the Swiss Journal of Geosciences, and Chief Editor of the journal in 2011.
- Milnes, A.G., Stephens, M.B., Wahlgren, C.-H., Wikström, L., 2008. Geoscience and high-level nuclear waste disposal: the Nordic scene. Episodes, 31, 168-175.
- Milnes, A.G., Aaltonen, I., Kemppainen, K., Mattila, J., Wikström, L., Paulamäki, S., Paananen, M., Front, K., Kärki, A., Gehör, S., Ahokas, T., 2007. Geological data acquisition for site characterisation at Olkiluoto: a framework for the phase of underground investigations. Posiva Oy, Working Report 2007-32. (download from website: www.posiva.fi)
- Milnes, A.G., 2002. Swedish deep repository siting programme. Guide to the documentation of 25 years of geoscientific research (1976-2000). Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Co. (SKB), Technical Report TR-02-18. (download from website: www.skb.se)
- Milnes, A.G., 1999. Geosynthese Wellenberg 1996 (NTB 96-01). Kommentare zum geologischen Datensatz für die Sicherheitsanalyse. Expertenbericht, Hauptabteilung für die Sicherheit der Kernanlagen (HSK), März 1999.
- Milnes, A.G., 1990. Fault and fracture systems in the crystalline basement of northern Switzerland and adjacent southern Schwarzwald. A discussion paper with respect to the Swiss programme for high-level radioactive waste disposal. Expertenbericht, Hauptabteilung für die Sicherheit der Kernanlagen (HSK), Januar 1990.
- Milnes, A.G., 1985. Geology and Radwaste. Academic Press (London, etc.), 342 p.
- Milnes, A.G., Buser, M. & Wildi, W., 1980. Endlagerungskonzepte für radioaktive Abfälle im Ueberblick. Zeitschr. Deutsch. Geol. Gesell., 131, 359-385.
- Milnes, A.G., 1974. Geologische Aspekte der Endlagerung radioaktiver Abfälle in der Schweiz. Neue Zürcher Zeitung, 9.9.1974.
Letzte Änderung: 17.01.2018