Annette Johnson was a senior scientist and research group leader in the Department of Water Resources and Drinking water at Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology.
Annette Johnson studied Chemistry at Imperial College London and after a year in industry entered the Royal School of Mines, Imperial College, where she studied for and obtained her PhD in 1984 in Applied Geochemistry with her thesis entitled “Trace element contamination derived from acid mine drainage”. As a postdoc in Switzerland (Eawag) and the USA (Oregon State University) and later as a research associate at Eawag she worked in a number of areas including the chemistry of acid precipitation, the mechanisms controlling the transport of ionisable organic compounds, redox chemistry in the lacustrine environment. Since 1991 Annette Johnson has carried out research at Eawag, focusing on the long-term assessment of waste materials and the geochemical properties of inorganic geogenic and anthropogenic substances in soils and (ground)water.
Areas of Expertise
- Geochemistry of inorganic contaminants in surface- and groundwater
- Waste management
- Chemistry of the mineral-water interface
- Geogenic contamination of ground and drinking water
- Johnson, C.A. (1986) The regulation of trace element concentrations in river and estuarine waters contaminated with acid mine drainage: the adsorption of Cu and Zn on amorphous Fe oxyhydroxides. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 50, 2433‑2438.
- Johnson, C.A., M. Ulrich, L. Sigg and D. Imboden (1991) A mathematical model of the manganese cycle in a seasonally anoxic lake. Limnol. Oceanogr., 36(7), 1415-1426.
- Johnson, C.A. and A.G. Xyla (1991) The oxidation of chromium(III) to chromium(VI) on the surface of manganite (g-MnOOH). Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 55, 2861-2866.
- Johnson, C.A., S. Brandenberger and P. Baccini (1995) The acid neutralising capacity of municipal waste incinerator bottom ash. Environ. Sci. Technol., 29, 142-147.
- Johnson, C.A., G.A. Richner, T.Vitvar, N. Schittli and M. Eberhard (1998) Hydrological and geochemical factors affecting leachate composition in municipal solid waste incinerator bottom ash. Part I: The hydrology of Landfill Lostorf, Switzerland. J. of Contaminant Hydrol., 33 (3-4), 361-376.
- Johnson, C.A, M. Kaeppeli, S. Brandenberger, A. Ulrich and W. Baumann (1999) Hydrological and geochemical factors affecting leachate composition in municipal solid waste incinerator bottom ash. Part II: The geochemistry of leachate from Landfill Lostorf, Switzerland. J. Contam. Hydrol., 40(3), 239-259.
- Ziegler, F., A.M. Scheidegger, C.A. Johnson, R.Dähn and E. Wieland (2001) The sorption mechanisms of zinc to calcium silicate hydrate: An X-ray absorption fine structure (XAFS). Environ. Sci. Technol., 35(7), 1550-1555.
- Johnson, C.A., M.K. Schaap and K. Abbaspour (2001) Modelling of flow through a municipal solid waste incinerator ash landfill. . J. Hydrol., 243(1-2), 55-72.
- Baur, I., C. Ludwig and C.A. Johnson (2001) Leaching behaviour of cement-stabilised incinerator ashes: A comparison of field and laboratory measurements. Environ. Sci. Technol., 35(13), 2817-2822.
- Johnson, C.A. and G. Furrer (2002) The effect of organic matter biodegradation on the long-term behaviour of MSWI bottom ash. Environ. Sci. Technol., 36, 215-220.
- Baur, I., P. Keller, D. Mavrocordatos, B. Wehrli, and C.A. Johnson (2004) Dissolution-precipitation behaviour of ettringite, monosulfate, and calcium silicate hydrate. Cem. Concr. Res., 34, 341-348.
- Abbaspour, K.C., C.A. Johnson and R.H. van Genuchten (2004) Estimating uncertain flow and transport parameters using a sequential uncertainty fitting procedure. Vadose Zone, 3, 1340-1352.
- Johnson, C.A. H. Moench, P. Wersin, P. Kugler and C. Wenger (2005) The release and mobility of Sb in soils contaminated by ammunition at shooting ranges J. Environ. Qual., 34, 248-254.
- Amini M., K.C. Abbaspour, M. Berg, L. Winkel, S. J. Hug, E. Hoehn, H. Yang, C.A Johnson (2008) Preliminary Statistical Modeling of Global Geogenic Arsenic Contamination in Groundwater. Environ. Sci. technol.42, 3669–3675
- Amini M., K. Mueller, K.C. Abbaspour,T. Rosenberg, C.A. Johnson (2008) Statistical modeling of global geogenic fluoride contamination in groundwaters. Environ. Sci. technol., 42, 3662–3668
- Winkel, L., M. Berg, M. Amini, S. J. Hug, C. A. Johnson (2008) Predicting groundwater arsenic contamination in Southeast Asia from surface parameters. Nature Geoscience, 1, 536–542.
Letzte Änderung: 17.01.2018